lunes, 6 de febrero de 2012

Westminster Abbey


I haven’t been to any English speaking country so therefore, I haven’t visited any historical site. Anyway, I have chosen Westminster Abbey because it is the traditional place of coronation and burial site for English, Irish and Scotish monarchs (such as Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, Edward III of England).  Apart from noble people, eminent personalities such as writers, scientists, painters and politicians were also buried there (Charles Dickens, Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, etc.).
It is a large Gothic church located just to the west of the Palace of Westminster, London. We know that the architect was greatly influenced by the new cathedrals at Reims, Amiens and Chartres, because he borrowed the ideas of an apse with radiating chapels. He also used the characteristic Gothic features of pointed arches, ribbed vaulting, rose windows and flying buttresses.

I think it is an interesting place to visit. 

No hay comentarios: